MANAMA -Saudi Arabia is on track to lift oil production capacity by more than 1 million barrels per day to over 13 million barrels bpd by the end of 2026 or start of 2027, the energy minister said on Monday. Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman told an energy conference in Bahrain that production could be maintained at that level once it was reached should market demand require it. The prince also said all upstream investments would…"Saudi Arabia on track to hit oil output of over 13 million bpd by 2027 -minister"
WASHINGTON – U.S. President Joe Biden said on Sunday that police officers must deliver both effective crime deterrence and equal justice in a message that balanced two fraught political priorities as his law-enforcement reforms have stalled. Speaking at a memorial service at the U.S. Capitol for 563 officers who died in the line of duty over the prior year, Biden offered no new indications over how he would resolve a delay in police reform aimed…"Biden balances anti-crime and reform agendas in message to police"
– U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said on Sunday he expected the Senate to vote on $40 billion in proposed aid to Ukraine on Wednesday after holding a related procedural vote on Monday. “We expect to invoke cloture – hopefully by a significant margin – on the motion to proceed on Monday, which would set us up to approve the supplemental on Wednesday,” McConnell told reporters on a conference call from Stockholm after visiting…"McConnell sees Wednesday U.S. Senate vote on $40 billion Ukraine aid bill"
SEOUL -North Korea said on Sunday a total of 42 people had died as the country began its fourth day under a nationwide lockdown aimed at stopping the impoverished country’s first confirmed COVID-19 outbreak. On Thursday North Korea acknowledged for the first time a COVID outbreak and ordered the lockdowns. State news agency KCNA said the country was taking “swift state emergency measures” to control the epidemic. “All provinces, cities and counties of the country…"N.Korea reports more deaths, says taking ‘swift measures’ against COVID outbreak"
– SMBC Aviation Capital, one of the world’s biggest aircraft lessors, is nearing a deal to acquire smaller rival Goshawk for about $7 billion, including debt, people familiar with the matter said on Friday. The deal between the two privately held, Dublin, Ireland-based lessors could be announced as soon as next week, the sources said, speaking on condition of anonymity. It would create a global aircraft leasing giant as consolidation sweeps the industry. Last year,…"Aircraft lessor SMBC Aviation nears $7 billion deal for rival Goshawk, sources say"
– Robert McFarlane, a White House adviser who tapped Saudi royals to fund a covert war in Nicaragua and flew on a secret mission to sell arms to Iran in the scandal that shook Ronald Reagan’s presidency, has died, the Washington Post reported. He was 84. McFarlane died on Thursday after an exacerbation of a previous lung condition, his son, Scott McFarlane told the newspaper. McFarlane lived in Washington and was hospitalized while visiting with…"Former Reagan national security adviser McFarlane dies -Washington Post"
SEOUL -At least one person confirmed to have COVID-19 has died in North Korea, state media said on Friday, offering the first such statistics a day after the country confirmed its first outbreak since the pandemic began. Some 187,800 people are currently being treated in isolation after a fever of unidentified origin has spread in the country since late April, the official KCNA news agency reported. Around 350,000 people have shown signs of that fever,…"N.Korea reports first COVID-19 death as outbreak spreads -KCNA"
BENGALURU – Athletics may not need a marquee personality with the speed and charisma to take over from Usain Bolt as fresh faces at the top of the sprint podium can be equally exciting for fans, former Olympic champion Justin Gatlin said on Thursday. Jamaican Bolt kept the sport afloat in an era blighted by doping scandals as he won sprint doubles at three consecutive Olympics and multiple world titles before retiring in 2017. “We’re…"Athletics-Gatlin excited by new talent emerging from Bolt shadow"
– Top U.S. meatpacking companies drafted the executive order issued by President Donald Trump in 2020 to keep meat plants running and convinced his administration to encourage workers to stay on the job at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a report released on Thursday by a U.S. House panel. The report by the House of Representatives Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis details the meat industry’s influence on Trump’s White House as…"Meatpackers convinced Trump officials to keep plants running during COVID crisis -U.S. House report"
– World Rugby has confirmed Australia as host of the men’s World Cup in 2027 and the women’s in 2029 and England has been chosen to stage the 2025 women’s tournament, the governing body said on Thursday. The United States was confirmed as host of the men’s showpiece event in 2031 and will stage the women’s tournament two years later. The hosts were finalised following a World Rugby Council meeting in Dublin. “This is a…"Rugby-Australia to host 2027 and 2029 World Cups"